• 100% good quality child friendly (bright/bold/whimsical/novelty print) cotton fabric
• Wash in fragrant free detergent / dryer sheets prior to sewing
• Use Color Catchers to check for bleeding
• Body 3/4 yard
• Cuff 1/3 yard
Cut pieces as follows
• Body 26” x WOF
• Cuff 11” x WOF
1. Lay Cuff (11” piece) fabric right side up on the work surface.
2. Lay Body (26” piece) fabric right side up on top of Cuff fabric. Line up raw edges at top. Pin.
3. Roll the Body fabric up from the bottom. Bring the bottom edge of the Cuff fabric up to top edge of all fabric, matching and pinning all layers. Be careful not to catch Body fabric in seam except for top raw edge.
4. Stitch 3/8 to 1/2-inch seam along pinned edge. Important to be accurate with seam width.
You now have a tube of fabric. Turn the tube inside out.
5. Press along Cuff edge. Make sure Cuff fabric smooth and pressed.
6. Trim raw edges along side and bottom.
7. Finish seams with:
a. Serger. Lock seams at end. Be sure stitches are tight. Match right sides together and pin so Cuff is aligned.
b. French Seam: Match wrong sides together and pin so Cuff is aligned. Sew scant 1/4-inch seam along side and bottom. Turn (right sides together), press, sew 3/8 to 1/2-inch seam alongside and bottom.
8. Congratulations! You now have a finished pillowcase.
THANK YOU FOR ‘HELPING KIDS FEEL BETTER TO HEAL BETTER’
Barbara Means, Georgia Chapter Coordinator CaseForSmilesGA@comcast.net
GUIDELINES AND TIPS
• No paint or glitter that could flake off.
• Do not piece the Body or Cuff fabric.
• Do not combine flannel and cotton. The fabric shrinks at different rates. Same with polyester fabric and cotton; fabrics shrink differently (or not at all in the case of polyester).
• Please don’t use rough / stiff fabric; fabric that is not soft to the touch.
• No need to add a trim piece.
• When sewing along Body edges, sew off the end. Don’t turn to sew along end edge.
• Iron as you go along. Makes for a quality finished product.
• Wash completed pillowcase and place in a quart size zip lock baggie.
• Fabric / completed pillowcase may be washed in vinegar vs expensive detergent. • Please don’t use damaged fabric or fabric that smells.
• Contact me for delivery or drop off at one of the store locations